As a green-certified caterer, we have some great advice on making 2020 the year of more sustainability.
The new year is a time for many to rethink their priorities and make overall life improvements. Sometimes these improvements are self-focused. People make goals to work out more, lose weight or become healthier—but sometimes, they’re outwardly-focused instead. If one of your goals is to help make the world a better place, we have the green, sustainability tips you need to get started!
Put a stop to your use of plastic – between plastic straws and plastic bags from the grocery store, we throw out an incredible amount each year. The plastic that makes its way to the ocean alone can kill up to 1 million sea creatures each year. Additionally, did you know that your plastic waste takes up to 500 years to decompose when it sits in landfills across the U.S.? Start small by ditching plastic grocery bags and adopting reusable, cloth bags instead. Here are a few other ways to significantly reduce your use of plastic:
- Say no to plastic straws at restaurants.
- Avoid using plastic k-cups when making coffee, and look into getting a French press instead.
- Discontinue your use of plastic cutlery. It might be easier to eat and toss, but it’s much more beneficial to the environment to use silverware and do a quick rinse.
Opt for reusable resources – just like you can use reusable bags at the grocery store, you can tap into reusable items at home as well. Rather than buying paper napkins and paper towels, consider swapping in cloth napkins and cloth towels that get washed and recycled—right in your own home. Even if you don’t get rid of paper everything immediately—you can start to make a game of seeing just how long you can get your paper items to last by choosing cloth instead whenever possible. Where else can you apply this same focus on reducing paper waste?
- Go paperless with your billing (and pay online or via phone instead.)
- Request emailed receipts rather than printed receipts when at the store (this helps you not misplace them if you need to return an item, as well!)
- End some of your junk mail (and give yourself some peace of mind.) Call the companies and opt out.
- Reuse paper for notes.
- Avoid the use of paper plates.
A goal to tap into more sustainability in 2020 is a goal to leave our planet a better place for future generations. It’s the little changes we put into place that end up making a huge difference. Let us know how it goes for you by connecting with us on Facebook, and book us to cater your next event in a fully-green fashion!